Together with a bunch of awesome ladies, we are reading Seanan McGuire’s Rosemary and Rue. Every week we will discuss a few chapters based on some questions. This week we read up to chapter 14, and the host is Lynn from Lynn’s Books. To find out more about SF/F Read Alongs or to join, check out our Goodreads group. Or, learn more about the book we are currently reading.
1. We finally get to meet Devin and Sylvester. They’ve both played important roles in Toby’s life. What were your initial impressions of both of them and the worlds in which they live. What were your first thoughts about them?
While Devin was quite the way I expected him to be – self-centered, slightly creepy yet kind of loveable, Sylvester was more… excitable than I was picturing? I think throughout the book he has been the first character to be truly happy to see Toby, and he doesn’t seem to be suspicious at all (while all the other fae character seem to be a bit off). This complicates my theory that he might be involved in Evening’s murder!
2. I’m totally intrigued by the Hope Chest – do you have any ideas about what exactly it is and what might be the significance of it being found?
I’m quite interested in the name. Is it a hope chest because it provides hope to changelings? Because fae hope it existed? Some other reason?
It does seem to be a rather powerful magical object with a bit of a mind of its own, which always makes things interesting.
3. Tybalt – I was curious as to Toby’s reasoning to trust him with the Hope Chest – what do you think?
Well, I personally would never entrust anyone I hate with something that important, but Toby didn’t really have any other choices. It would be too easy to put it with her known friends. To be honest I liked it because there was more Tybalt time. I’m not fully aboard the Tybalt-train, but we’re getting there.
4. We experience the reaction of other members of the fae to the murder of Evening and Toby telling them about the Queen’s reactions – did their reactions give you any clues at all?
Everyone deals with grief differently, and I think that counts for the fae as well. Toby’s observation that the Queen is losing her mind makes sense. I can’t say I was looking for clues though, so I have no thoughts on that 🙂
5. What were your thoughts on Raysel and Luna?
Raysel might be the only person more broken than Toby herself. I wonder what happened to Raysel and Luna while they were away for twelve years – I feel like they might have been trapped by that Simon guy, only not transformed into a fish. Luna is an awesome character, I like how she is some kind of pro gardener.
6. That ending, did we just end up back in the first post? – what is going on? Speculation?? Lets just talk about it please.
Poor Toby. Chapter fourteen makes for a fantastic cliffhanger, doesn’t it? I definitely feel like someone is going to rescue her, but I have no idea who yet.
Are you reading with us?