Graphic Novel Review: My Little Pony: Pony Tales Vol. 1 by Thom Zahler
Expected publication November 5th 2013 by IDW Publishing
Review copy received through Netgalley
Summary: every pony gets their own lead story in this collection of mini-series! Fluttershy enters an art competition, Pinkie Pie meets her idol and many more pony-tales.
What I liked:
- This book is so long! There is almost 150 pages of Pony goodness
- The stories are very engaging. I liked that every pony had her own story so they all get enough screen time
- The stories were a bit less over the top moralistic than I was expecting
- There is some cool background about for example Applejack’s family that I enjoyed
What I didn’t like:
- The stories were still moralistic and a bit too cheesy
- There were less pop culture references in this one than in the other MLP book I read; this one seems to be more focussed on kids that read it, instead of adults
Verdict: A great graphic novel for My Little Pony fans, very entertaining and cheerful. If you’re a sceptic, Pony Tales probably won’t convince you
Six spotlights focusing on everyone’s favorite Ponies! Twilight Sparkle, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, and Applejack each get a whole issue devoted to them.